Thursday, December 11, 2008

Musical Roots

When I was a sophomore in high school, I listened to Motley Crue for the first time - on a serious level. I had heard singles before on the radio and on Beavis and Butt-head (what a great show), but I never really sat down and listened to an album. I got the Crue's Greatest Hits CD that year from a buddy of mine and fell in love with it. Being a drummer, Tommy Lee's beats spoke to me. They're not the most complicated with intricate time signatures and he's certainly not the most technically saavy drummer - but he always plays with showmanship and passion. Plus, he's wreckless and and always thinking outside the box when it comes to solos.

With that being said, check this video below. It's a drum solo video from 1987 - with Tommy using his infamous rising, revolving and rotating drum kit. It might not have the "wow factor," but for 1987 it was original and bad ass.


No comments: